Hi! I’m Julie B. Rose, and I write about travel, finance, and the #nomadlife.
First, check out the most recent blogs:
Welcome! I’m Julie. I’ve been a full-time nomad for 2 ½ years!
In 2020, I sold my house and hit the road with my pup, a 6-year-old miniature Australian shepherd named Penny, in search of adventure and a fresh start. We traveled all around the U.S., seeing charming small towns, amazing nature and national parks, and visited my 50th state. At the end of 2021, I quit my remote job to semi-retire and go on sabbatical, so I could travel without the constraints of a full-time job. Our travels over the past few years have taken us around North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico) by car, and for me, Europe by plane. Boy, it’s been a trip (and if you’re new here, you’ll see I don’t hold back!)!
On juliedevivre.com (and on my social media), I share:
- a collection of my experiences with solo female travel and safety strategies
- advice on minimizing and/or becoming a global nomad, from the practical (like health care) to the emotional (like, do I ever get lonely?)
- budgeting and personal finance information, including how I financed my career break
- my detailed spending breakdowns while traveling, as a location-independent, traveling nomad
- my philosophies on being single and child-free in my 30s, and dating as a nomad
- how I plan my trips and how long I stay
- advice on traveling with a pet, in Mexico and elsewhere in North America
- traveling or moving to Mexico, and my experiences therein
- my travel guides and suggested itineraries for my favorite cities!
I hope the educational and inspirational material on my blog empower YOU to be true to yourself and implement positive change — whatever that may look like — in your life!
How I got here
After several years of sporadically and periodically renting out my house for vacationers while I traveled, in 2020, I sold my house in Phoenix and most of my belongings in order to live a minimalist, nomadic life traveling 24-7, accompanied by my loyal pup. (Global pandemic be damned.)
This blog was born in 2017, a few months after I had been laid off for the second time in my professional lifetime. My self-worth worn down, and burnt out from overwork and a toxic working environment, I decided to reset and recharge by taking a 1-month trip abroad. On that trip, I met someone who I thought changed the game for me, but it wasn’t too long until he callously broke my heart, after asking me to move to Europe for him. I found a bright side in that the breakup spurred me to start this blog and launch my YouTube channel. Sharing my vulnerabilities, self-discoveries, and practical philosophies on travel — 50 U.S. states, 31 countries and counting! — love, money, and career has helped me re-prioritize, heal, and completely change my outlook on life.
I’ve been at this nomad life journey for a while now, and I haven’t looked back yet (ok, maybe a glance once or twice). I’ve learned so much, and I can’t imagine living any other way and settling in one place again. I remain single, and may be missing a meaningful, stable, and passion-filled relationship — but that’s ok, my life waits for no one (and maybe he’ll find me along the way!).
Over the first 15 months of my nomad life journey, I worked remotely in a high-profile social media position, but in December 2021, I decided to leave my traditional 9-5 for a mini-retirement/sabbatical. During this chapter (Mexico, Europe, and who knows!), I will focus on writing my memoir, on being present in the places I visit, and fully embracing all my interests and passions — like my blog, social media channels, my budding travel coaching business, and keeping connected with all of you — plus, whatever else brings me joy! (Did you know, I’m a singer too?!)
Don’t forget to subscribe to stay updated on all posts and announcements! Thanks for coming. I’m glad you’re here. xoxo, Julie ❤️
Read more in-depth about me and how I got here:
- How Did I Get Here? My Career Evolution: From Journalism to Social Media to a One-Year Sabbatical (Chapter 1)
- How Did I Get Here?: From Periodic Traveler to Full-Time Nomad (Chapter 2)
- How Did I Get Here, Love Edition: How I Evolved into the Empowered, Child-Free and Happy Woman I Am (Chapter 3)
- How Did I Get Here? My Financial Journey: From Unemployed and Broke in 2017, to Saving Enough to Leave the Workforce (Chapter 4)
- Ask Me Anything: 2022 (International and Jobless) Edition
- Ask Me Anything: Your Frequently Asked Questions About Nomad Life (USA Edition)
For optimal navigation, hover over Blog in the top navigation bar and select the category that interests you. Or, click here for a rundown by title of my last 100 posts.
- How I Secure Reasonable Accommodations on the Nomad Life (Hint: It’s Not Airbnb)
- 6 Reasons to Experience Mexico’s Day of the Dead in Oaxaca With Me (I’m Holding a Group Trip, and You’re Invited)
- What I Spent in 90 Days Traveling Mexico: My Quarterly Spending Breakdown
- Essential Albania Travel Guide: The Albanian Riviera, History, and Nature
- 50 Days in Quintana Roo: What I Thought of Mexico’s Most Touristic State — and My Favorite Things to Do
- How Did I Get Here? My Financial Journey: From Unemployed and Broke in 2017, to Saving Enough to Leave the Workforce
- How Did I Get Here, Love Edition: How I Evolved into the Empowered, Child-Free and Happy Woman I Am
- How Did I Get Here?: From Periodic Traveler to Full-Time Nomad
- How Did I Get Here? My Career Evolution: From Journalism to Social Media to a One-Year Sabbatical
- Why Your Favorite Nomad Blogger Became a Travel Coach (and What That Is)
- Things I Wished I Knew Before Driving to Mexico from the U.S.
- Dog-Friendly Itinerary for San Cristóbal de las Casas: What to Do, What to Eat and Where to Stay
- How I Pack for a Months-Long Road Trip, and What I Brought to Mexico
- I’m a Nomad: But Stop Asking Me What I’m Running From
- My 10 Commandments of Budget Travel, From a Full-Time Nomad
- I’m “Moving” to Mexico: My Experience Getting Temporary Residency
- Unpopular Opinion: Why Are So Many People Scared to Retire? GUILT
- How I Earned $13K Without Working in 2022
- How I Spent $27K as a Global Nomad in 2022
- Dating Diary of a Single Nomad: The Three Most Frustrating Things I Keep Seeing from Men
- My 7-Day Itinerary for Mexico City: What to Do, Eat & Visit
- 3 Mindset Shifts That Will Change the Way You Think About Personal Finance
- How I Packed for 16 Weeks (and Two Seasons) in Europe in One Suitcase; Plus, My Monos Luggage Review
- I’m One Year Into My Sabbatical — How It’s Going