Hi! I’m Julie B. Rose, and I write about travel, finance, and the #nomadlife.
First, check out the most recent blogs:
Welcome! I’m Julie. I’ve been a full-time nomad for 2 ½ years!
In 2020, I sold my house and hit the road with my pup, a 6-year-old miniature Australian shepherd named Penny, in search of adventure and a fresh start. We traveled all around the U.S., seeing charming small towns, amazing nature and national parks, and visited my 50th state. At the end of 2021, I quit my remote job to semi-retire and go on sabbatical, so I could travel without the constraints of a full-time job. Our travels over the past few years have taken us around North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico) by car, and for me, Europe by plane. Boy, it’s been a trip (and if you’re new here, you’ll see I don’t hold back!)!
On juliedevivre.com (and on my social media), I share:
- a collection of my experiences with solo female travel and safety strategies
- advice on minimizing and/or becoming a global nomad, from the practical (like health care) to the emotional (like, do I ever get lonely?)
- budgeting and personal finance information, including how I financed my career break
- my detailed spending breakdowns while traveling, as a location-independent, traveling nomad
- my philosophies on being single and child-free in my 30s, and dating as a nomad
- how I plan my trips and how long I stay
- advice on traveling with a pet, in Mexico and elsewhere in North America
- traveling or moving to Mexico, and my experiences therein
- my travel guides and suggested itineraries for my favorite cities!
How I got here
After several years of sporadically and periodically renting out my house for vacationers while I traveled, in 2020, I sold my house in Phoenix and most of my belongings in order to live a minimalist, nomadic life traveling 24-7, accompanied by my loyal pup. (Global pandemic be damned.)
This blog was born in 2017, a few months after I had been laid off for the second time in my professional lifetime. My self-worth worn down, and burnt out from overwork and a toxic working environment, I decided to reset and recharge by taking a 1-month trip abroad. On that trip, I met someone who I thought changed the game for me, but it wasn’t too long until he callously broke my heart, after asking me to move to Europe for him. I found a bright side in that the breakup spurred me to start this blog and launch my YouTube channel. Sharing my vulnerabilities, self-discoveries, and practical philosophies on travel — 50 U.S. states, 31 countries and counting! — love, money, and career has helped me re-prioritize, heal, and completely change my outlook on life.
I’ve been at this nomad life journey for a while now, and I haven’t looked back yet (ok, maybe a glance once or twice). I’ve learned so much, and I can’t imagine living any other way and settling in one place again. I remain single, and may be missing a meaningful, stable, and passion-filled relationship — but that’s ok, my life waits for no one (and maybe he’ll find me along the way!).
Over the first 15 months of my nomad life journey, I worked remotely in a high-profile social media position, but in December 2021, I decided to leave my traditional 9-5 for a mini-retirement/sabbatical. During this chapter (I was in Mexico for the first half of 2022, Europe in late 2022, and still planning 2023), I will focus on writing my memoir, on being present in the places I visit, and fully embracing all my interests and passions — like my blog, social media channels, keeping connected with all of you — and whatever else brings me joy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to stay updated on all posts and announcements! Thanks for coming. I’m glad you’re here. xoxo, Julie ❤️
Want to learn even more about me? Read Ask Me Anything: 2022 (International and Jobless) Edition! and Ask Me Anything: Your Frequently Asked Questions About Nomad Life (USA Edition).
For optimal navigation, hover over Blog in the top navigation bar and select the category that interests you. Or, click here for a rundown by title of my last 100 posts.
- My 10 Commandments of Budget Travel, From a Full-Time Nomad
- I’m “Moving” to Mexico: My Experience Getting Temporary Residency
- Unpopular Opinion: Why Are So Many People Scared to Retire? GUILT
- How I Earned $13K Without Working in 2022
- How I Spent $27K as a Global Nomad in 2022
- Dating Diary of a Single Nomad: The Three Most Frustrating Things I Keep Seeing from Men
- My 7-Day Itinerary for Mexico City: What to Do, Eat & Visit
- 3 Mindset Shifts That Will Change the Way You Think About Personal Finance
- How I Packed for 16 Weeks (and Two Seasons) in Europe in One Suitcase; Plus, My Monos Luggage Review
- I’m One Year Into My Sabbatical — How It’s Going
- 16 Weeks in Europe Recap: My “Best of” List
- A Travel Itinerary for the Foodie: Split, Croatia
- You CAN Afford It: How to Travel When You Don’t Have Tons of Savings
- My Third Month in Europe: How Much I Spent & Where I’ve Been
- I’m a Nomad: Here’s My Experience With Global Expat Health Insurance
- 7 Surprising Realizations I’ve Had Since Quitting My Job at 36
- I’m a Full-Time Solo Traveler: Do I Ever Get Lonely?
- How Much This Full-Time Nomad Spent in Europe (Days 31-60)
- Why We Should Stop Looking for Soulmates
- My Travel Guide for Budapest: What to Eat and What to Do
- Happy 2-Year Nomadiversary to Me, and a Message: Don’t Wait for Your Life to Start
- It Costs How Much to Travel?! What I Spent My First 30 Days in Europe
- Ask Me Anything: 2022 (International and Jobless) Edition!
- Lessons from an Expert International Traveler: Sharing the Early Mistakes I Made (So You Don’t Make Them Too)